08/11/2006

It's over! Almost.

I've now had two exams here in Utrecht. The first one yesterday was for Comparative Constitutional and Administrative Law. It had one bad question, but the third question went some way to making up for it by asking:
Pick one case from outside your jurisdiction studied on this course that you found interesting. What happened in the case and why did you find it interesting?
Now that's a nice question if ever I heard one. I had my second exam earlier today for Principles of Good Governance, and that was slightly (read: a lot) less nice than the former. Fingers crossed that I'll have done enough to pass but I hadn't got a clue for some of the questions. Apparently if I fail I need to resit in December, but the resit would be an oral exam, which we all agreed might be worth failing for! But I guess that's not the correct attitude.

I only have one more exam now which I got on Monday and doesn't have to be in until Friday, the plan is to get it done today, but good intentions and all that springs to mind!

I thought I'd mention a little bit about exam procedure here. Forget everything you thought you knew. Firstly, there's no designated seating as you can sit where you want. You don't have any official identifying form and you're not checked off on any list. You can bring everything into the exam, bags, coats etc, no need for see through pencil cases here. You can get up to go to the toilet without telling anyone. You don't get told to start, you just do. And finally, you can leave whenever you want. I finished about 15 minutes before the end of my first exam, but didn't leave until just before the end as it felt wrong! I came round to the idea a bit more today and after finishing with 30 minutes still to go I decided to be daring and leave. So I did.

I'm now having to deal with a severe lack of motivation to do anything else. This usually doesn't matter when exams are at the end of the year, but feeling this way in November with the majority of the year still to run must be a bad sign.

No comments: