30/05/2007

What's in a name?

At badminton I'm usually referred to as 'Jackie'. Originally this reminded me of primary school, but I've come to see it as being a sign of affection for the 'English guy' (although I can now count to 21 in Dutch quite confidently, not that my score ever gets up that high). However, today my instructor used my surname, or close, when he called me O'Connan. After, he took my aside and asked me if I was Scottish. I assured him that I was English, that I hadn't been misleading them, and that my surname was in fact Welsh. This he thought was quite funny, all the more so when I told him that O'Connan, as he thought, would in fact be quite Cornish (my old very Cornish tutor being a Conan) - which would have been more appropriate seeing as that's where I live. Ah, small things.

This afternoon I had to present an oral argument on why there's no right to an abortion in the US Constitution. I always doubt that I'll enjoy doing that sort of thing, but I got quite into it once I got started and I thought I'd made a few decent points. Afterwards a Greek classmate came up to me and told me how much she loved by English accent, and that I could work in voice overs. So, it doesn't seem to matter what I say, just so long as I say it in a English accent. Perhaps Stephen Fry was right after all!

No comments: