08/02/2007

Winter Wonderland

After spending last night moaning to anyone who'd listen about it not snowing here (sorry Cecily!), it seems someone at the Dutch equivalent of the MET Office was paying attention. Yes, today it finally snowed properly in Utrecht, and seemingly just about everywhere else in Europe as well!

It did though come as quite a surprise for I met up with Andrew for breakfast this morning in what has just become my favourite cafe in Utrecht. It's built into the wall of canal in what look like old cellars and is all very quaint. Unfortunately where we sat we didn't really have a window and despite seeing some flakes falling and some pretty damp people walking in, we couldn't really see what was going on in its full glory. So five hours later when we emerged it was to quite a surreal, but rather pretty scene:



I had a grand total of 20 minutes to get back to pick up my lecture notes and camera, and to enjoy the scrunching of the snow before my final lecture of this period, so sadly I didn't get a chance to regress to my childhood and join the children in sledging down the banks in the park.

After said lecture the student association here had arranged an ice-skating session at the 'local' rink. Being quite curious as to what it would be like to cycle in the snow and ice for 30 minutes, I cycled there with about five others, but (un)fortunately it wasn't quite as extreme cycling as I was hoping!


The ice-skating itself was good fun though, although the same problem I have with my left leg skiing is exactly the same problem I have with my left leg ice-skating, so everything I do comes in halves! I don't really feel like I've improved since I went last year and it's always the case that things feel like they're coming together just before we have to get off. But I guess that's a good reason to go back and keep trying. And, making up for my not being able to regress to my childhood earlier in the day, we even found time for a snowball fight on the way home.

So, my timetable for today has been something like this:
10:00-15:00 Breakfast
15:15-18:15 Lecture
19:00-23:00 Ice Skating

Unfortunately, I feel that my timetable for tomorrow will instead go something like this:
10:00-23:00 Paper Writing

But if it snows again then I guess I might have to alter that a little.

No comments: