06/02/2007

Jumping Ship

It’s a strange time here at the moment. The second semester officially started yesterday and while it’s made no difference to me on my courses, for some it’s meant the end of their time in Utrecht. Moving room has shielded me from the changeover to a large degree and there are now a lot of unfamiliar faces and voices floating through the corridors, so I’m going to have go meeting and greeting!

Yesterday evening I had the mooting team over to dinner to say goodbye to Yu who’s now on his way back to Australia (hopefully sans food poisoning!). Yu’s been a great friend these past five months and he’s probably the one I need to thank (or perhaps more suitably, blame) for infecting me with the travelling bug after we went to Brussels last year. Not to mention the fact that without his sterling performance on Saturday we probably wouldn’t be going to America in March.


So it seemed the least I could do to bring a few people around for dinner to say sayonara. So my tiny kitchen was rearranged Tardis-like to seat three more people than it really should be able to. Unfortunately I should have realised that I was biting off a little more than I could chew. Not only did I manage to get lost on my way back from Lidl this morning (that's the last time I try and make up a shortcut home – 10 minutes there, closer to 40 minutes back!), but neither did I reckon with the fact that I’ve never hosted a dinner party before, and my intended menu consisted of a main dish that was somewhat more adventurous than I’m used to – a chicken and leak puff pasty pie.

I couldn’t find the pre-made stuff in the supermarket so had to resort to making my own. Amazingly, despite ending up with only an hour to get it all together, and never having peeled so many potatoes so quickly, it all came together at the right time. Once again, there are no photos of the actual end products, but I’m starting to think that’s a compliment! I’ve also been bequeathed an umbrella, a bicycle lock, a roll of masking tape, some hay-fever tablets, a bar of soap, and best of all, 18 (possibly overdue) hardback library books. So it was all worth it after all!

No comments: