26/01/2007

Jack Frost

I have very little to write about, so I'll start with something simple. It's pretty cold here at the moment. So cold in fact that the other day, not only did I, for the first time since I got here, change back into trousers to cycle back from badminton, but by the time I arrived home I had two patches of ice crystals on my gloves where I'd been holding the handle bars. The numerous digital thermometers lining the route gleefully informed me that it was anything from 0C to -5C. Either way, it was decidedly nippy. I'm curious as to why there are three such things on my way to the University, it's not really as if the temperature here is anything to boast about!

Unfortunately, although it has been cold, there has been a marked absence of the one thing that makes the cold fun: snow. I was momentarily excited this morning when I was caught in a little brief flurry, but it quickly become little more than cold rain, which I guess is better than hail, but nowhere near as good as snow.

The cold though means that I'm appreciating hot food more and more, and recently I've done pretty well on that count. Tonight I cooked two pizzas for Amadeo, Jeff and myself and contrary to my expectations they both turned out rather well. So much so that I didn't need to bake the dessert I had planned as well, so the pear and blueberry sponge with custard will just have to until breakfast tomorrow! Actually, after writing it, that doesn't sound like such a bad plan...

I had my final practice moot today. We have a dress rehearsal next week before the Dutch final on the 3rd February. I'm now feeling better about the whole thing than I've ever done, things just seem to have come together recently and we're all gelling well as a team. I'd be surprised if we win in February, but I'd be more surprised if we bombed badly. Either way though, it'll be nice to be able to put it away afterwards and get on with the rest of the year.

No comments: