24/12/2006

21 and counting

I am now officially 21. In fact, I was officially 21 two days ago now and I'm still getting over the shock of it all.

I only flew back to the UK on the 21st and woke up that day to the news that the UK was fog bound with quite a few flights being cancelled as a result. Luckily I was flying to Exeter and not London, so things looked OK. But I got to Schipol airport and joined a crowd of people waiting for the same flight in watching the departure screens as they stayed empty firstly as it went past the time for boarding, then the time for departure, then one hour after we should have boarded, then one hour after we should have departed. I had visions of myself spending my 21st birthday in the departure hall at Schipol airport, which wouldn't have been that bad as I was with some really friendly people waiting for the flight, but anyway, two hours later we were in the air and on our way home. Apparently the delay was caused by the fact that all the airports we could have landed at in an emergency were fog bound, so that wasn't encouraging, but as testified by the fact that I'm writing this now, it didn't come to that!

After all that, it was a relief to spend a quite day at home with family and friends, and as the picture shows, even at 21, I'm not too old for a balloon and a birthday cake. I even made a wish:


It's been an amazing year, so much has happened and so much has changed from this time last year that it's almost hard to take it all in. But on the whole things have been great, and I'm looking forward to seeing what 2007 will bring.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year!

No comments: