30/10/2006

The Mooting Fallacy

This morning I had a meeting concerning the moot that I'm working on, and during said meeting something hit me. We were talking about whether a fictional international organisation, subjected to fictional treatment by a fictional state could bring a fictional action against the fictional state. This is all very well and good, but what real practical good does it do?

I'm going to spend the best part of four months working on this fictional scenario so that I can go and present a convincing argument. Yes, it's tremendous experience, a challenge and a big competition, but wouldn't it be better if people mooting put that amount of effort into a real free representation case concerning real people who perhaps don't have the means or the inclination to seek legal advice?

I guess the question comes down to; Four months of free representation, or four months of fictional representation? To use the words of Dick Cheney, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

No comments: