29/10/2006

Back to Basics

Well, it's been a while since I posted on here, and that's mainly because not much has been happening since I got back. I've been mainly working on finishing my first dissertation, and it was a great relief to hand it in, all 8800 words of it, on Friday. So I've been enjoying a somewhat lazy extended weekend, made all the better by the realisation that the clocks went back this morning thus giving me an extra hour to be lazy in!

Aside from all that... Um. Well, Emma and I seem to have struck up a relationship of sorts with a market stall owner. We went last week to buy some vegetables and seemed to annoy him by (a) not being able to speak to him in Dutch, and (b) by not being sure of what we wanted anyway. So we weren't sure about going back to him again, but he had the best selection, so off we trotted and this time he was very pleasant and even tried to learn what things were in English. We even got a parting joke, or at least I think that's what it was. It's my somewhat sad hope that by the end of the year I'll be able to go up to him and for him to say "Just the usual?".

Armed with the produce from said stall I made a leek and potato soup last night which was surprisingly nice, if a little bland. Still, I made up for that with a brioche bread and butter pudding for dessert. I had intended to take a photo of the pudding, but I couldn't wait to try it, which I figures provides a nice excuse to make another one.

On the work front, I have my first exam in eight days, but it's a take-home exam that I have five days to do and only counts for 50%. So my first real exam is in nine days, but it only counts for 50% of my final grade as well. So my first really important exam is in ten days, and seeing as it counts for 100% of my grade and I've not a clue what the subject is all about, perhaps I should be a little concerned. Roll on the 9th November!

No comments: