13/07/2008

Food, glorious food

Before we came out here we had a briefing back at the ESU in London, and one of the few things I remember information wise was that last year everyone put on weight during their internships. So far though I think we've all been doing pretty well in the food regime department despite the gargantuan temptations constantly on offer.

Obviously being on a budget helps, but it seems that America is on a health-drive at the moment. In fact, tonight Corey cooked dinner and ten of us got through enough food for thirty-two portions according to the packet, but it really wasn't anywhere near that.

However, despite these encouraging signs, sometimes things don't quite work out, and Friday was such a day (so was Saturday in fact, but more on that in the next entry). After having breakfast in the flat, I went to a talk by the British Minister for Europe at the Brookings Institute up the road from here, where there was another free breakfast for all participants, which of course I had to partake of. That afternoon it was Liz's (one of the legislative-assistants in my Congressman's office) birthday, which meant that there was both free blueberry and apple pie.

But the crowning glory in the food stakes came on my walk home. From Congress, I decided to walk up Pennsylvania Avenue and along the way I passed the Old Post Office.


When I was in Washington DC with my parents about five years ago I remember we popped inside so I decided to retread our steps and was immediately greeted by the sight of Larry's Cookies and one particular memory from those years passed. When I was here then I spotted a Rocky Road cookie, which in my youth was quite something to behold with its promises of chocolate, nuts, toffee and more chocolate. Naturally, my advancing years meant my pulse didn't race quite so much this time, but I still ordered one to re-live my excitement. Sadly, although the cookie was still good, the rampant heat outside practically turned it to slush in my hands. Some memories are best left alone I guess.

But the walk itself was pleasant, and the view from the top of the Post Office tower was as impressive as I remembered. In one direction you could look down Pennsylvania Avenue towards the Capitol where I started, and in the other over to the Washington Monument and the Mall.



Just a shame about the cookie.

No comments: