30/06/2008

New York, New York

It's about 9am in the morning. I'm sitting in my room in Brooklyn. I've just got back from a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan. It's sunny. It's 23C already. I'm rapidly realising that whatever weight I put on through diet this summer, I'll probably perspire off due to heat exhaustion at an even great rate. And with such thoughts, so begins my month long American tour of duty.


I arrived in New York yesterday afternoon at about 2pm after getting into the airport at noon and having the most trouble free trip through immigration and customs I've ever had. Unfortunately, soon after I got here one of the most impressive thunder storms I've been in in a while descended upon the city and with it showing no signs of abating, I decided that, when combined with my jet-lag and general lack of sleep deprivation, it was probably best just to stay in my room and get myself sorted. So that's just what I did, eventually going to sleep at 6pm and waking up at 7am this morning, hence my early morning stroll over to Manhattan.

A stroll that I'm about to repeat in fact, although this time complete with suited attire, which I imagine is going to be highly unpleasant, both for myself and those unfortunate enough to come into contact with me. I'm spending the next two-days interning with Judge Koeltl in the courthouse here in New York in lower Manhattan. I also need to buy a phone, so it's going to be a busy couple of days before I head off down to Washington DC on Wednesday to spend the rest of July interning in the office of Congressman Gus Bilirakis.

Should be fun!

No comments: