09/02/2008

In search of a conclusion

For a student of the arts, I have a worrying, and often unrealised, fondness for 'yes' or 'no' answers. Unfortunately, legal questions rarely come in digital and we're left hanging and have to make do with "if this, then this, but if this, then this" answers. Occasionally, but only occasionally, I'm known to crave a bit of trigonometry.

And that's very frustrating, and I guess that's why I'm not all that interested in pursuing a career as a lawyer. I'd much rather sit in a library and try to make the law come to nice 'yes' or 'no' answers, so the world cane be a happier and better place. But it seems that that's just how it is for me in real life too. I've noticed recently that increasing I try to finish every conversation with a concluding remark. It was quite funny at first, but now it's started to annoy me (and probably the people I speak to as well), mainly because I often can't think of something suitable. So instead of finishing naturally, these thing tend to have two or more abortive endings in search of a departing comment, before stuttering and tailing off most unsatisfactorily instead.

It's probably related to my desire to have things planned out months in advance. For instance, after my internship in Washington DC this summer, I'm going to have about three weeks free to spend in North America. Now, this isn't for another 6 months, and I can't figure things out definitively for a while yet, but it doesn't stop me trying to plan out all the different possibilities. It would be much easier if I just decided to believe in fate.

I wonder if that's a product of the unilateral nature of writing a textual blog? After all, writing is much more discrete than conversation and actions, and I can finish a conversation with myself anyway I want. See?

No comments: