01/12/2007

School's Out for Winter

It's that time of year again. It hardly seems possible that a little over two months ago I started my final Michaelmas term, but true it is. Last night was Selwyn's SnowBall and this weekend almost everyone packs up to return to their other homes for Christmas. But not me. I'm staying around for another two weeks. The upshot of this is a very quiet College, the downside; the lack of people. Coming down the stairs earlier today I noticed a rather sad sight - everyone apart from me being marked as 'OUT'.


Obviously there was a party and I just wasn't invited, but at least it should mean that I get some work done these next two weeks - provided all the conference attendees and interview candidates don't prove too distracting. Which I imagine they will.

Last night though was the SnowBall and jolly good fun it was too.


This year with people who graduated last year coming back for it, and it being the last one while I'm still here, I had a change of heart and decided to go along. And I'm glad that I did. It's not a May Ball, but it's not meant to be either. There's something much more personal about the SnowBall, but having said that, the use of a strict one-way system meant that I actually saw shamefully few people to talk to properly. The only other one that I've been too in 2004 didn't really capture anyone's imagination and I'd been in no hurry to go back, but 2007 was certainly a much better affair. It's nice to be able to 'go out' with a better Ball.

No comments: