31/08/2007

Zip It Up

This blog isn't about social commentary (well, not entirely), but I've been so incensed recently that I've decided to make an exception.

The subject of my ire? Climate Change? Global poverty? No, something far more close to home... the button fly. I ask you; has something so pointless, so fiddly, so unnecessary, ever been inflicted on the human population? Can any designer who makes the conscious decision to equip a perfectly decent pair of trousers with such a useless appendage even be (a) a bloke, or (b) sane? I've lost count of how many times in the past month I've seen a pair of trousers that seem 'just right' only to go and try to zip up the fly and find myself confronted with an array of buttons that repel all attempts to button up without supreme effort, concentration, and some pretty unflattering contortions. When a zip can be mastered in less than a second, this new found 'fashionable' obsession with buttons utterly confounds me.

Designers take note - not only have you lost at least £30 in lost sales because of your thoughtlessness, but you've also dangerously increased one young man's blood pressure.

No comments: