12/06/2007

Hair yesterday, gone today


My final two courses here have now become one, although in truth they weren't really that separate anyway. This morning I had my oral exam for my US Constitutional Law course. I've never had an oral exam before so had no idea what to expect, so I made sure that I knew the cases that had been assigned and rucked up at 8:30. At 9:00 I was done and on my way home grade in hand. Eh? What happened there? Apparently that's the way it is, and everyone else seems surprised that I'm surprised. Not that I'm complaining, although I've always thought it odd that a years worth of study comes down to a final three-hour exam, so I guess six weeks of study coming down to a 30 minute chat shouldn't shock me that much.

What this means is that I've now only a paper to hand in on Friday then I'm academically done for the year. It's also on American law, although it's a comparison with British law. It's practically finished, so everything seems on course. It's odd how much I've enjoyed looking at American public law this year and I'm glad that I've had the opportunity as the Cambridge Tripos is too rigid to afford me the opportunity to do the same there. In fact, I'm even more glad that I had the chance here as Cambridge have shafted me somewhat. They sent me the Part II papers the other day, and the Public Law dissertation option, the option that I've been basing my entire approach to next year on, has been withdrawn and not replaced with anything comparable. This means that I'm left with a gaping whole that I'm going to have to fill with something I don't want to fill it with. Not impressed to say the least. But at least I got my public law fix while I was here.

After my exam finished so quickly this morning, before most of Utrecht woke up in fact, I took the opportunity to get my mop of hair cut. I've been meaning to do this for about two months now, and I had intended to take before and after shots, but I only remembered about the before shot half way through having it cut off, which I thought was rather too late for the exercise to have much meaning. But 'tis done now, so now I feel much lighter up top and all the more summery.

No comments: