19/05/2007

Yesterday; a postscript

After cheese in the morning, and a Biblical Ark in the afternoon, I would have been quite contended to conclude the day there, but as Schagen was quite a way from Utrecht I'd decided to stop off in Amsterdam on the way home. There's a time to visit Amsterdam, and it's probably not at 5pm on a Friday afternoon, but nonetheless I battled the crowds to get done what I needed to do, and have the time left over to visit a place that had been recommended to me by an Amsterdam insider as serving the best appeltaart in the country.

Now, before coming to the Netherlands I wasn't the biggest fan of baked apples, in fact, I didn't really like them. That had to change however, for in most of my 'lucky-dip' patisserie ventures, whatever I pick usually ends up having some sort of apple filling, and hence, I've learned to appreciate such things, but I'm no expert. However, I can safely say that this taart was well worth the trip and it even beat the appelbollen that I've become so fond of in Graff Floris here in Utrecht. I'm not usually in the habit of photographing my food, but I just had to share this monster with you all to let you know what you're missing wherever else you are.


For those curious, the cafe was confusingly named 'Winkel' (which translates as 'shop') and was in the Jourdaan. I also picked up a cookery book which among other things gives me a photographic step-by-step guide to preparing an octopus, but I think I'll be sticking with the appeltaart for the time being.

After all of that, I did indeed conclude the day by getting back on the train to Utrecht, but the day wasn't done with me. Later that evening I heard some loud music from outside my window and was confronted with a rather unusual sight.


It was one of those "Surely there can't be any more?" moments when they just kept on coming and coming for a good couple of minutes. Where they came from, where they went, and why they came and went, I've no idea, but about ten minutes later a motorcade of five ambulances, two police cars and one fire engine sped past sirens blazing, so I just hope the two weren't related.

Needless to say, I slept reasonably well yesterday night.

No comments: