23/03/2007

Crossing the Frontier

It doesn't seem like two minutes ago that I flew back from Malaga, but time marches on and early tomorrow afternoon our mooting team is flying out to Washington DC to take part in the finals of the Jessup Mooting Competition.

I'm quite exicted by this. No, I'm very excited by this. We're not quire sure of our schedule yet as it depends on how well we do in the preliminary rounds on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. If we don't make it through, then it all ends there and we have some free time in Washington. If we do make it through, then it turns into a knock-out competition that runs until the final on Saturday. There are around 90 teams competing and the last time Utrecht was represented they finished about 75th, so we're aiming for anywhere higher than that.

The University has actually been very accommodating about the whole trip and have agreed to delay my return flight by a week after the end of the competition, so on the Sunday after the competition I'm getting on a three-day cross-continental train that'll take me all the way from Washington DC, via Chicago (hello again), to San Francisco! I'll have three days there before having to fly back to Washington and then back to Amsterdam, via Paris, within 24 hours. So I'm quite looking forward to seeing just how zombie-like I am when I get back to Utrecht on the 9th.

At the moment the trip is looking set to present me a few firsts:

1. My longest ever flight.
2. My first cross-continental trip.
3. My first time spending 72 hours sat in the same seat.
4. My first view of the Pacific Ocean.
5. My first overnight stay in an airport.
6. My first transfer in an airport.

I can't say that I'm necessarily looking forward to them in that order though!

Just a shame that I have to give the US authorities about every single piece of information about my life before they'll even let me into the country.

No comments: