22/02/2007

Lonsterdam and Camtrecht

As you might well know, I'm currently reprising my old role as Selwyn resident, although this time, I'm doing so by sleeping on Stuarts (still surprisingly comfortable) floor. In fact, I've passed up the opportunity to go to a Family Law lecture to write this blog entry - Labour Law and Equity lectures yesterday were quite enough.

I flew into Luton on Saturday to spend a few days in London staying with Kelly and Dan while doing a mini-pupillage at One Essex Court chambers. I've never been to Luton before, and I was pretty surprised to see that the 'green' customs channel had a bin with 'Bird Flu' written on the side. Absent any other sort of notice I can only conclude that it was for those people unfortunate enough to have flown in from Hungary with turkey giblets in their hand luggage. Things did not improve greatly when my train down to London was (a) delayed by thirty minutes and (b) devoid of anywhere to sit. But at least it was an authentic re-introduction to the good old United Kingdom.

It was great to see both Kelly and Dan again and I had a good chance to have a wonder around south London and the Greenwich area. I don't know what it is about Greenwich, but I just think it's lovely, especially the park. Unfortunately someone had rather selfishly taken the Cutty Sark away for refurbishment leaving a bit of an empty space on the pier, but it was still worth the trek. Greenwich also provided the setting for a rather brutal haircut. My passport photo convinced me that I needed it cutting, but not quite to the extent that my barber evidently thought necessary! I should imagine it won't need cutting again until at least July. Met up with Will, Jon and Nathan from home as well which was great. We did the usual thing of spending two hours trying to meet up before going for lunch then spending about three hours deciding what to do with the rest of the day before trying to find somewhere for dinner etc. Unfortunately we ended up in China town while being oblivious to the fact that it was Chinese New Year. The amount of people around was therefore quite perplexing, but one clarifying conversation with a policeman later and we were slightly the wiser. But not wiser enough to realise that finding somewhere to eat would be almost impossible. Cue much walking in and out of restaurants in quick succession.

London though felt a lot different than it did when I lived there over the Summer. When I flew back to the UK, for the first time, I didn't get that 'coming home' feeling, and stepping off the train at London Bridge, it didn't feel like I was in a different country. Walking around London things didn't seem that different either. Sure, the architecture is very different and the people mainly speak a language I can eavesdrop in, but things really didn't feel that different. Perhaps I've had more time to get used to Holland, or perhaps more likely, I've changed in the way I perceive things. It was great to be back 'home', but it didn't feel anymore familiar than Utrecht now does. Although, having said that, the UK does have the huge advantage of having both J2Os and Innocent Smoothies in abundance, so that'll probably keep me coming back.

The mini-pupillage was good and I got the chance to play at being a Barrister for two days. It's such a shame that I can't mention what I was working on, but it's amazing knowing what goes on behind the scenes in the most everyday things. Unfortunately it took me about half an hour and an inordinate amount of prodding before I approached the answer to one of the problems I was working on - so I guess I've a little work to do before next year! But I'm convinced that it's a career I'm going to give serious thought to pursuing.

I've now been in Cambridge for two days and again it feels a little odd. It's great to be back and to have seen everyone, but at the same time, it doesn't really feel like I've been away for any length of time, perhaps because nothing's really changed (although the whacking great big crane behind Newnham appears to have disappeared). Although I have finally had a famous Chelsea Bun from Fitzbillies, and for the first time in my life I've actually done everything on my highly-optimistic to do list. So they were both worth coming all this way for! We're going to a Formal Hall tomorrow night before I fly back to Amsterdam tomorrow afternoon with my bags packed full of crumpets and cheddar cheese.

No comments: