12/01/2007

Catching up with Cambridge

Today I increased the number of Dutch cities that I've visited by one, by getting on a train to Leiden to meet up with everyone on the yearly Cambridge-Leiden exchange. After a busy week it was nice to have to get up early for a social event for a change!

I didn't get a chance to see that much of Leiden, but it felt a lot more open than a lot of Dutch cities, with the streets being wider than they are here in Utrecht and Amsterdam. In fact, I really liked what I saw and I'll probably go back again for a better look when the weather's improved and the temperature is rising slightly!

It was really good to meet up with some of the people from back at Selwyn. Max, Jaron and Joe were all there, and I also increased the number of first-year lawyers I know by one as well. So that's two +1's in one day:


We started the day with an extended coffee and breakfast stop before I visiting a Leiden fraternity house, and then joined up with the rest of the exchange group for a lecture on Dutch politics. The lecture was quite interesting, if a little bit statistical, but it was good to get some more information on the politics of the country that I'm living in and to hear how it's likely that Holland will get less liberal in the next couple of years, so, as the lecturer solemnly told us "make the most of it now"!

The lecture hall itself took quite a lot of finding, but inside it had perhaps the most spectacular water feature I've seen:


The picture doesn't do it any justice, but the water flowed down wires from the ceiling into the bit at the bottom. The whole thing was really quite hypnotic. I believe that Joe was kind enough to film me gawking at it if anyone's interested in seeing more!

This seems like a convenient place to mention that I'm coming back to Cambridge in February to do some proper catching up with everyone. I have a mini-pupillage in London on the 19th and 20th of February, so I'm coming up to Cambridge after that for a few days before flying back to Holland on the 23rd. That'll mean that I'll be there on a Thursday evening, so need I ask: formal hall anyone?!

No comments: