07/12/2006

It's a strange world

Yesterday marked my first attendance at badminton practice for three weeks. Unfortunately, in between my last visit, Brussels, Maastricht and then laziness got in the way. I was quite surprised when I got there for a new period had started and hence I was confronted with a sea of new faces and the realisation that after not playing for three weeks, I wasn't very good. Still, I had fun.

Two things though have not changed. Firstly, it's the 7th of December, yet yesterday I cycled back from the Sports Centre wearing only shorts and a t-shirt. I've been doing this since my first lesson, and each time I've thought to myself "I won't be able to do this next week", but then the next week, I've done exactly the same. Secondly, on my way back I cycle firstly to the east, then to the south, then west, then north, then west, then north, then west and finally south. Now, aside from being inefficient, that means I follow all four points on the compass. So can someone please explain why, no matter which direction I'm cycling, I'm always cycling into the wind? Surely that shouldn't be possible? Trying to be aerodynamic on a bicycle isn't easy with a badminton racket sticking out of my backpack.

I've also finally broken my aversion to hot drinks by conditioning myself to stomach hot chocolate. So no longer do I have to go for a coffee with friends and order an orange juice or similar. This also means that I now join the legion of people who get a free biscuit with their drink.

No comments: