25/11/2006

High in Utrecht

Getting high in Utrecht is exceedingly easy, and I'm not referring to the large number of Coffieshops. Instead I'm referring to climbing up 112 meters in 465 steps to the top of Utrecht's Dom Tower:


Shamefully we only got around to climbing said tower today, but although my thighs are now seeking a pay rise, it was worth it. Apparently it's the tallest church spire in the Netherlands, and before the world had skyscrapers, it was the tallest building in the Netherlands. The stairs started out rather gently, but soon became rather less generous as they got steeper, narrower and tighter, but I guess it wouldn't have felt like such an achievement if they had been a lift.

Unfortunately it wasn't great weather wise. The rain held off but it was exceedingly windy at the top and the cloud meant we couldn't see Amsterdam like you can on a clear day. It's strange seeing Utrecht from 112 meters up and it made me realise how little of it I've actually seen these past three months. Here's a selection of photos of the view from the top:





On the way back home we cam across the following scene, it's far from unusual, but I guess it's a good way to keep your bike relatively thief-proof!

No comments: