22/09/2006

Vending-machine and voice-mail vagueness

Here it as at long last, the picture of my once-loved, now financially crippling, bicycle:


Unfortunately, the wheel rims don't really glow like that, although a part of me now wishes that they did. Thankfully, it actually cost less than it was supposed to, and the repair bill came in at 90c under the magical €60, so that was a nice surprise. It was also nice to cycle home without squeaking - but now I have to warn people when I'm coming as my approach is no longer inherantly audible.

I woke up to a voicemail message this morning. Or at least I thought I did, as the message telling me so was all in Dutch. So I translated what I could and phoned the number. I was not prepared for what I got. After about 2 minutes the voice stopped talking at me and was clearly asking for me to input something. I'd understood something about needing a password to pick up the message. So I typed one in and after nothing happened, guessed at pressing the # key. There was a beep, and then more talking. I couldn't pick any of this up, but again it wanted me to key in something, so I tried the password, only to get a Family Fortunes esque denial. We then went round in circles for several minutes. In the end, I admitted defeat and took my phone into the T-Mobile shop, where it took the lady all-of 3 minutes to set it all up. She informed me afterwards that it wouldn't be much use though. The voicemail itself was in Dutch. Ho hum.

I'm not usually one for vending machines, but here you use a card called a 'Chip-Knip' to use them, so it doesn't feel like you're spending money. Not only this, but each time I choose something, it's quite a (mini) adventure. Owing to the fact I can't read what things are, I'm never quite sure what I'll get. Yesterday I got something akin to a slice of spiced apple loaf, and today I got a bar of seasame seeds stuck together in syrup. Neither was what I thought it was going to be.

This evening I shall be working on a presentation I'm giving on Monday regarding the Dutch law on childrens' surnames. A topic not aided by the fact that the most up-to-date textbook (circa 1999) talks of 'imminent' (i.e. now past) changes. Tomorrow though I shall either be visiting The Hague or playing mini-golf, so that'll make up for it.

No comments: