12/09/2006

Heat and work...

... Do not go together at all well. It's still rather too warm here. It's 28oC today and there's not a cloud in the sky. Lectures have started, but it's so warm that it's impossible to focus on actually doing any work for them. It's meant to rain on Thursday, but it's going to be 25oC when it's doing so which is mad.

I had intended to bring you a picture of my new bike, but it's too hot to venture to the bikeshed to take said photo. So I'll describe it. It's blue and purple, with bent back handlebars. On reading it back, that's not very good. Only one brake works, and even then, it's more of an incentive for the bike to slow down than a brake. The other one isn't even connected. The front wheel is every so slightly bent as well. It does though have two locks, a kickstand, and some bungee ropes for attaching things to the back. So overall, for 55 Euros I can't really complain. I might not be saying the same when it breaks/I crash/I hit someone though.

Lessons are quite an odd affair. I've had two so far; Dutch Law and Comparative Constitutional and Administrative Law. The former was held in a classroom and felt like a class. We sat around tables and couldn't get in until the lecturer arrived. Felt like being back at College, only with name tags. The second was more successfull and felt like an actual lecture, albeit with a little more participation than normal. Hopefully the former will pick up as time goes on, at the moment, I can just tell you that the Netherlands is a civil law jurisdiction, but still has caselaw, legislation and custom. So how does that work? Who knows. The upshot of the latter course is that I have to write a mini-dissertation for it, and it's on the same subject that I hope to write my dissertation on when I get back, so I can use it as a run through before the main event.

I'm going night-canoeing on Utrecht's canals tomorrow night which sounds like it'll be great fun. I would take my camera, but that would only increase my chances of capsizing, so I don't know if I'll be able to bring you photos of my less than poor canoeing skills. There's also a trip to Amsterdam on Friday.

I lied a bit earlier. It's very hot, but there's one thing I can do in this heat, and that's bake as you practically don't need an oven, and I needed to use up my eggs. So there's another cake on the way. See what you're all missing out on :)?

No comments: