19/09/2006

(Bad)minton

Today's been a busy day. I inexplicably woke up at 9am sharp and spent the next four hours actually doing some work outside of class - unheard of since arriving. I then had four consecutive hours of lectures, had some dinner, then went off to the student badminton society from whence I have just returned.

I'd forgotten how much hard work badminton actually is and how bad I am at it. I play a little bit back home with a friend once or twice a week, and he usually beats me, so I have to admit that part of my desire to play here comes from me wanting to beat him. This I did in the final game before I left, so I hope to return and carry on where I left off. Jon, if you're reading, be prepared. In the one hour of training I had today I learned that I've been holding the racket incorrectly, and that my forehands were laughable. So, that's me told. I played a doubles match, and predictably lost. I felt marginally better when I learned that my opponents were of tournament level. Unfortunately the place is a 15-20 minute cycle along one of those roads where you're convinced that each corner is the last, only for another one to appear. Still, hopefully I can work up the enthusiasm to actually go each week.

Which brings me onto a related point. My bike's 'quaint squeak' has become more of an incessant whining. Listening to it for a total of 40 minutes today has left me with a faint headache. It all stems from my wonky front wheel, which also prevents my dynamo from touching the wheel and thus shrouds me in darkness. I may have to do something to bring my bike into the 21st century. Especially if I want to cycle all the way to Amsterdam without going mad.

I discovered today that my final exam of this term is on the 21st December, which is fortunate, seeing as my birthday is on the 22nd! Not only is this the first time my birthday has been in term time, I almost had an exam on it! But the upshot is that I can come home on the 21st and be back in Cornwall for my 21st. I'll have two hours between finishing my exam and needing to be at the airport, but that'll only add to the excitement.

No comments: