08/06/2008

A Much Needed Break


True to my word, at midday on Thursday I finished my last ever Cambridge Trips exam. When the invigalator called time at the end of the paper, it was as if she was calling time on my whole four-years at University. It's a very strange feeling. On the one hand, it feels like it's a year overdue, but on the other hand (and I think the dominant one), it feels like it's much too soon. But either way, it's been a huge relief to get this term over with. As terms go, exam term is never the rosiest of the three, but this one has been particularly long.

Of course, it's the same for everyone, and indeed for some people it hasn't actually ended yet. But I reached a point at the end of March where I felt as if I'd been at University too long, and it was great to come back home for Easter. Things were fine at the start of the term, but it's been a long term with little respite. Sadly the exams were a bit hit and miss, not to prejudge, but I'd say two were poor, three were so-so and one was good. Fortunately the last one was the good one, so at least things ended on a high note.

After I'd finished, I went to what will probably be my last Selwyn Formal Hall with Will and Jon, which was fun, before boarding a train bound for Penzance on Friday. I had the pleasure of sitting next to a lady with a Prada mobile phone. The journey to Penzance via train isn't one I make that often, but it's actually a really picturesque journey especially when it follows the estuary of the Ex river after Exeter for several miles. But after seven hours travelling, it was good to pull into Penzance station and find mum waiting for me.

So, what do I do when I find myself at home for the first time in over two-months having just finished my exams? Well, having not had a great deal of fresh air or exercise for a while, I decided to spend Saturday walking to Land's End from Penzance along the coastal path - a walk of about 16 miles. For the first 10 or so it felt like a good idea, then it went a bit downhill (sadly only figuratively!).


It's a walk I've never done, and it's surprising how little I know about the places that are only a few miles from where I live - the coast is full of little inlets, coves, beaches and villages that I've never heard of, let along seen. It's easy to see why Cornwall was such a popular choice with smugglers back in the days - and in fact, the coastal path was originally created to allow the Customs people to patrol the coast.



Dad generously offered to walk with me, and we both remarked on how beautiful Cornwall actually is. Cornwall has a lot more to offer than just Newquay and surfing. Yes, it rains a lot, but there are few places in the UK where you can walk ony a few miles from a town and find such lovely views across the sea, especially when the county itself has such a rich maritime heritage. So much of it is still unspoilt too.



In fact, it places it could almost have been medditeranean judging by the weather, and the amount of the people on the beaches and in the sea - a bit like one of those 'wish you were' here postcard pictures.


But despite the lovely scenery all around, it was a blessed relief to reach the white-signpost that signalled the finishing point of Land's End.


Unfortunately both mine and Dad's boots starting digging into our ankles just over half-way, but fortunately it was my left foot, and Dad's right, and even more fortunately, we're the same shoe size. So, the natural thing to do was to swap only one boot - which we duely did. Much to the amusement of some passing walkers.


Ankles all better now though, and amazingly, I could actually move this morning. Hence the day being spent at a slightly more sedate pace walking around Truro.

I'm getting the sleeper train back to London this evening, to get back to Cambridge tomorrow morning. And it's amazing how much difference a couple of days can make as I'm looking forward to being back; people to see, things to do as they say. This will be my last end of term, so I'm certainly going to make the most of it!

No comments: